As old superstitions fade and Emily Post-like etiquette evolves, you’re probably not counting the number of roses or orchids or hydrangeas you receive from your special someone. But the number of roses a man once gave a woman held hidden meanings, so check out what your significant other either intentionally or, more likely, unintentionally told you.
- One rose: Love at first sight, or years later “you are still the one.”
- Two roses: Mutual love and affection . . . so you may owe him two roses!
- Three roses: The traditional three-month anniversary gift also simply means “I love you.”
- Six roses: Infatuation, or “I want to be yours.”
- Nine roses: A big jump up from six, nine roses symbolizes eternal love or “I want to be with you forever.”
- 10 roses: A perfect 10 means “You are perfection.”
- 12 roses: A dozen is like picking the best heart from a Sweetheart candy box; it means “be mine.”
- 13 roses: Thirteen may be a baker’s dozen, but not so in love. Its meaning is actually disputed: Teleflora says it means you’ll be friends forever, but several other sources, like Love Letter Box, say it means you have a secret admirer.
- 15 roses: Does he have a reason to apologize? Because 15 roses means “I’m sorry.” If not, take it as credit for future remorse.
- 20 roses: The red starts to get excessive around 20, and supposedly that means “Believe me, I am sincere toward you.” Usually, sincerity does not need to be proved with quantity, but that’s just me!
- 21 roses: “I am dedicated to you” is the hidden meaning behind 21 roses. I am going to bet this was once popular among cheaters looking to be taken back.
- 24 roses: If one dozen says “be mine,” two dozen says “I’m yours.” Be careful; he could be yours whether you want it or not.
- 25 roses: Are you pregnant? Did you just get a promotion? Have you not killed the fish he gave you for Christmas? Because 25 roses simply means “congratulations.”
- 36 roses: Three dozen not only says “big spender,” but it also says “I’m head over heels in love” or “I will remember our romantic moments.”
- 40 roses: Forty roses says what 10, 20, or 30 can’t: “My love for you is genuine.”
- 50-plus roses: Fifty and beyond can mean a few things, and they’re all big and boisterous. Traditionally, they mean my love, like my wallet, knows no bounds.